Before you rent a storage container, there are a few things you should be aware of beforehand. For example, if you want to rent a storage facility, you’ll need to provide identification and acquire necessary insurance coverage. Despite the fact that storage units come in a variety of shapes and sizes, receiving many bids from the top storage unit businesses may often save you a significant amount of money.
Frequently asked questions about storage units
I’m looking for a self-storage facility. What should I look for?
In addition to making sure the unit you rent is safe and secure, here are a few more self-storage services to look for before you commit:
- Accessibility: Does the facility provide access 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and on weekends? Make sure you have access to your items when you need them the most.
The use of locks, video monitoring, in-person surveillance, and security gates or doors may all help to keep your valuables safe and secure.
- Price: Inquire about storage unit prices and online discounts, and make a note of any pricing variations in the contract to ensure that you receive the most for your money.
- Availability: Whether you need a certain size or kind of storage unit, check to see if your chosen storage facility has one available.
- Location: While a facility that is closer to a city may be more convenient, it may also be more expensive as well. Based on how often you need access to your unit, you should weigh the benefits and drawbacks of convenience and expense.
- Customer testimonials: What current and previous customers have to say is important. Staff that are rude, robbery reports, and one-star ratings should all be reasons to exclude any self-storage facility from your selection.
- What do you need in order to rent a storage facility?
Prepare to show some identity: in order to rent a storage unit, you must provide a legitimate, government-issued form of identification. Here are your options:
- Driver’s license
- State identification card
- Military identification card
In addition, you’ll be required to sign a storage unit agreement or contract (which you should absolutely read from beginning to finish!) And abide by the regulations outlined within it.
The cost of a self-storage unit is decided in many ways.
The cost of your storage unit will vary depending on the size of the unit and the length of time you want to keep your belongings there. Many self-storage facilities offer month-to-month contracts, but you may be able to receive a better deal by committing to a longer period of time.
The availability of goods and services has an impact on pricing as well. If the majority of neighboring storage facilities are already fully booked, you may expect to spend extra. This also implies that if there are a large number of unoccupied apartments, you may get good deals as well.
- How do you get your belongings to a storage facility?
While you can fit all you need in your trunk, we recommend taking advantage of complimentary truck rentals offered by some self-storage firms instead. Using a truck rental, you can carry your bulky belongings in a single load, which reduces the amount of time (and pain) you spend moving into or out of your storage container.
- Is it possible to rent a storage space for one week?
The majority of the time, you will not be able to rent a storage space for just one week. The majority of storage facility contracts have a one-month minimum term. You may, however, save money by comparing estimates from a number of different sites in your area. In addition, we’ve discovered that simply self-storage’s pricing is typically roughly $20 lower than the industry average.
Is it necessary for you to have a climate-controlled storage unit?
While temperature control is beneficial for all of your goods, it is particularly vital for items like clothes and furniture since it helps to prevent mold and mildew from forming on them. Using climate-controlled storage facilities, you can protect your most valuable things from excessive heat, cold, and humidity throughout the year. These units typically maintain temperatures between 50 and 85 degrees throughout the year.